Game Over after a single death

Download the demo, post suggestions, give feedback!
Roy Nathan

Game Over after a single death

Postby Roy Nathan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi there!

Was sad to see your Kickstarter campaign wasn't funded, 'cause I do like the direction the game is going.
I don't now if you want all my questions/remarks in their own topics, but I'll start of with my biggest question:

Why did you choose to end the game after one of your hero's dies in battle (instead of them being knocked out, waiting to be revived)?

Does it tie into the story or message in someway, because it feels a bit harsh to me. I notice that I tend to stop playing when ever this happens.
Would love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers!
JaJ
Site Admin

Re: Game Over after a single death

Postby JaJ » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi Roy,

The battle system actually doesn't work when you are allowed to let party members die, because you can then use your dead party members as a shield for attacks. Whenever an enemy is about to attack a party member, you can switch places with a dead party member and have that absorb the attack. An alternative would be to not allow switching with dead party members, but that still gives a lot of options to try and break the system, and also renders one of your three enemies useless for the rest of the battle. In the end I decided that since I didn't like it thematically anyway, it would be best to have game over when one party member dies. I don't feel that is any more or less frustrating, since the battle system is supposed to have you keep track of all characters anyway, so implementing revival options would result in more difficult enemies. (In other words, I think it's the overall difficulty that needs to be easier to prevent this frustration)

I would not be opposed to a type of item that automatically revives a party member when he or she dies similar to the fairies in the legend of Zelda (thematically they would never die but instead be protected from a fatal blow by the item), since this doesn't break the battle system. Of course these items would be hard to come by and/ or expensive. How would you feel about that?

If you have a lot of smaller questions or remarks it may be best to have them all in one topic, but I feel this one is important enough to warrant its own topic.

Return to “The Demo”